Monday 16 September 2013

DIY skeleton T shirt

This is my first attempt at a 'how to' blog so it'll probably be a little rough around the edges, apologies in advance...
the finished product! (back)
I really liked this T shirt on ASOS, but being a crafty and spendthrift student I thought I'd have a pop at making a similar one myself. I'm really happy with the result and it was a fraction of the price, just £2.50 rather than £18.
Image 1 of ASOS T-Shirt with Lazer Cut Skeleton Back
http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3300872

You will need...

  • A T shirt of your choice (I bought a mens L dark grey crew neck from Primark)
  • A rib template (I used this > Back Rib Cage)
  • A washable marker pen
  • Sharp fabric Scissors
First, print out your template and cut out the black parts. I decided I didn't want the cut outs to come too far up or down the T shirt so missed off the first and last two ribs, but this is entirely up to you.


Then, turn the T shirt inside out and place the template on the back. I folded and marked the centre of the T shirt with a vertical line and lay the edge of the template against it. Then draw the ribs onto the T shirt with your marker, and flip the stencil over with the edge matched up against the vertical line again and repeat. Then cut the ribs out. It's a little fiddly but didn't take as long as I imagined.

accidentally took a photo with the template lying on the front, woops!
I decided to add a spine to make it look more like the original ASOS Tshirt, but it looked fine without. I just marked on some squares freehand, but be careful not to cut too close to the other cut outs or it could stretch and rip with wear.


 I am going to team this tee with a white vest for the chillier months, wet look leggings, a beanie and lots of jewellery. If I'm feeling brave (or warm) I might even skip the vest.

I'm toying with the idea of adding some of these sew on spikes to the front of the T shirt to jazz it up a little... what do you think? Suggestions for customising or questions about anything I may have missed are very welcome, please just comment!


thanks for reading! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment